THIS SERVICE IS ONLY AVAILABLE THROUGH OUR PLATTE CITY OFFICE.
Reasons to get a birth certificate:
- Traveling outside of the United States.
- Renewal of Driver’s License.
State Law allows a certified copy of a vital record to be issued only to a person with a direct and tangible interest in the record. The registrant, a member of his/her family, his/her guardian or one of their official representatives shall be considered to have a direct and tangible interest and may be issued a certified copy of a vital record.
The Platte County Health Department provides official birth and death certificates at the Platte City Office only.
Hours of Operation:
8:00 AM to 4:30 PM, Monday through Friday.
- Certified copies of Birth certificates can be purchased for $15.00 each.
- Certified copies of Death certificates can be purchased at $13.00 for the first copy and $10.00 for each additional copy.
- Cash and Checks are acceptable forms of payment. Checks must include date of birth and Social Security number or Driver's License number.
Print and complete an Application for copy of Birth or Death Certification.
Documents Required to Obtain Certified Copies of Vital Records
Requesting certified copies in person:
- Signed application or request, and
- One issued identity document that displays a name and photograph.
Two alternate forms of identification. At least two alternate forms of identification documents must be used if applicant does not have a picture identification card. See Alternate Forms of Identification Documents below.
Requesting certified copies by mail:
- Signed application or request which must be notarized by a notary public. Mail with payment* to:
Platte County Health Department
212 Marshall Road
Platte City, MO 64079
*If you are writing a check to cover the cost of the certificate or certificates you MUST include the following:
- Date of birth, and
- Social Security number, or
- Driver's License number.
Applications will be returned if this information is not included.
Note: If you mail us an application, it may take as long as two weeks to receive the certificate.
Acceptable Documentation for Identification
Primary Documents (One document is required)
- A state issued Driver's License that includes a photograph, date of birth
- A state issued identification card that includes a photograph, date of birth
- A current U.S. military identification card that includes a photograph
- A U.S. passport with current photograph
- A current school identification card/document showing applicant's name, photograph, and date of school year
- Work identification card that includes the applicant's name, photograph, and company name
Alternate Forms of Identification Documents (At least two alternate forms of identification documents must be used if applicant does not have a picture identification card when applying in person) Alternate documents must display name of applicant, may display date of birth, date of issuance (or year), must display institution, company or organization/agency name.
- Letter from government or social agencies
- School yearbook
- A W-2 form issued within last year in addition to a signed Social Security card (social security numbers must match)
- Social Security card or Social Security numident printout (print out of an applicant's Social Security account of activities)
- Court certified adoption papers that include adopted parent(s) name(s)
- Official certified deeds or title to property
- Certificate of vehicle title or registration documents
- Proof of auto insurance
- Insurance policy (health, home, life, etc.)
- Medicaid/Medicare document or identification card
- A payroll stub that includes a Social Security number of applicant (cannot be handwritten stubs)
- Military discharge document (DD-214)
- Cancelled duplicate check (must show name, address, signature, and name of institution)
- Utility bill which shows name and address of applicant (water, gas, electric, telephone)
- Shelter name band (including name of shelter)